● Primary and associated auxiliary liquid petroleum and liquid anhydrous ammonia piping at pipeline terminals (marine, rail, and truck), tank farms, pump stations, pressure-reducing stations, and metering stations, including scraper traps, strainers, and prover loops
● Storage and working tanks, including pipe-type storage fabricated from pipe and fittings, and piping interconnecting these facilities
● Liquid pertroleum and liquid anhydrous ammonia piping located on property which has been set aside for such piping within petroleum refinery, natural gasoline, gas processing, ammonia, and bulk plants.
● Those aspects of operation and maintenance of liquid pipeline systems relating to the safety and protection of the general public, operating company personnel, environment, property, and the piping systems.
ASME B31.4 does not apply to:
● Pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, meters, and other such equipment, including internal piping and connections for piping except as limited by Paragraph 423.2.4 (b) of ASME B31.4
● Piping designed for internal pressures:
a. At or below 15 psi (100 kPa) gauge pressure regardless of temperature
b. Above 15 psi (100 kPa) gauge pressure if design temperature is below 20deg F ( 29 degC) or above 250 F (120deg C)
● Casing, tubing, or pipe used in oil wells, wellhead assemblies, oil and gas separators, crude oil production tanks, other producing facilities, and pipelines interconnecting these facilities
● Petroleum refinery, natural gasoline, gas processing, ammonia, and bulk plant piping, except as covered within the scope of the code
● Gas transmission and distribution piping
● The design and fabrication of proprietary items of equipment, apparatus, or instruments, except as limited by this code
● Carbon dioxide gathering and field distribution systems
The rules of this code provide for protection of the general public and operating company personnel, for reasonable protection of the piping system against vandalism and accidental damage by others, and for reasonable protection of the environment.