Also included within the scope of ASME B31.8 are gas storage equipment of the closed-pipe type, fabricated or forged from pipe or fabricated from pipe and fittings, and gas storage lines.
The requirements of ASME B31.8 are applicable to operating and maintenance procedures of existing installations and to the update of existing installations.
ASME B31.8 does not apply to the following:
- Design and manufacture of pressure vessels covered by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- Piping with metal temperatures above 450 F (232 C) or below 20 F ( 29 C)
- Piping beyond the outlet of the customer’s meter set assembly (refer to ANSI Z223.1 and NFPA 54)
- Piping in oil refineries or natural gasoline extraction plants, gas-treating plant piping other than the main gas stream piping in dehydration, and all other processing plants installed as part of a gas transmission system, gas manufacturing plants, industrial plants, or mines (see other applicable sections of the ASME Code for Pressure Piping, B31)
- Vent piping to operate at substantially atmospheric pressures for waste gases of any kind
- Wellhead assemblies, including control valves, flow lines between wellhead and trap or separator, or casing and tubing in gas or oil wells
- The design and manufacture of proprietary items of equipment, apparatus, or instruments
- The design and manufacture of heat exchangers
- Liquid petroleum transportation piping systems (refer to ANSI/ASME B31.4)
- Liquid slurry transportation piping systems (refer to ASME B31.11)
- Carbon dioxide transportation piping systems
- Liquefied natural gas piping systems (refer to NFPA 59 and ASME B31.3)
Effective Code Edition, Addenda, and Code Cases
No edition and addenda shall be applied retroactively to existing installations in so far as design, fabrication, installation, and testing at the time of construction are concerned. Further, no edition and addenda shall be applied retroactively to established operating pressures of existing installations, except as provided for in Chapter V of ASME B31.8.