ASME B31.3 Process Piping - Layout and SupportGeneral Considerations
- Access for operation (valves)
- Access for maintenance of in-line devices
- strainers, etc.
- Avoiding interference with other activities
- Removing heat exchanger bundles
- Clearance for pump maintenance, etc.
- Drainage (slope) requirements
- Pressure drop
- Cost of piping, including maximizing use of existing supports
- Avoiding interference with other piping
- Clearance for application of insulation
- Clearance for piping displacement, etc.
- Provisions for future additions
Two principal sources:1. Recognized codes & standards
- ASME B31.1
- MSS SP-69: Pipe Hangers and Supports – Selection and Application
Usually based on simplifying assumptions
- Combination of pipe material and wall thickness used in the facility that gives the shortest spans
- Contents specific gravity, usually 1.0
- Typical insulation thickness and density
- Person walking on pipe for larger sizes