ASME B31.3 Process Piping - Perform flexibility AnalysisWhat are we trying to achieve?
1. Provide adequate support to resist loads suc h as pressure, weight, earthquake and wind
2. Provide sufficient flexibility to safely accommodate changes in length resulting from temperature variations
3. Provide sufficient support and flexibility to prevent the piping from exerting excessive reactions on equipment and restraints
And we do that in order to
- make the piping look well supported to the facility engineers and operators
- prevent collapse of the piping
- prevent leaks due to fatigue cracks
- prevent joint leakage caused by excessive forces , and
- prevent failure or malfunction of attached equipment caused by excessive reactions
Flexibility Analysis ExampleA two step analysis is shown.
1. Weight and Pressure Loads – verify proper support and check reactions
2. Thermal Expansion Load – verify adequate flexibility and check reactions
FOR MORE INFO, SEE THE EMBEDDED PDF. GIVE IT A MINUTE TO LOAD.