Based on Design Temperature and Pressure
- Main steam piping, HP Bypass system
- Hot Reheat System, Cold Reheat System and Low Pressure (LP)
- Bypass System
- Boiler Feed Water piping
- Turbine Extraction system
- Steam piping to Turbo driven Boiler Feed Water pump.
- Condensate piping
- Auxiliary steam piping.
- Any system with a design temperature of 400 deg C or higher.
- Any system with an ASME flange rating of Class 900 or higher
- Other systems which are considered critical because of pressure
- and/or Temperature Considerations.
- Non Critical
- Exclusive of all above
Based on Size
- Small Bore
- Pipe Diameter less than 65 NB
- Large Bore
- Equal and greater than 65 NB)
Stress Analysis To be carried out:
- High Pressure and above 120 deg C either LB or SB
- SB above 120 deg C
Loads on Piping System
- Dead load
- Weight of the pipe.
- Weight of fittings.
- Weight of valves and other inline components like strainers, etc.
- Weight of insulation.
- Weight of fluid flowing inside
- Wind load
- Seismic load
- Hydro Test Loads
- Load Due to Thermal Expansion
WHAT MAKES STEAM PIPING CRITICAL
- High Temperature and High Pressure of the Steam
- Additional Loads on a Steam Line:-
Increased dead load due to higher insulation.
Loads due to the phenomena of water hammer/steam hammer.
Relief valve discharge.
Loads due to phenomena of surging.
- Movement of Equipment Nozzles
- Solar Radiation Heating